Search This Blog

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Mitt Romney Reaffirms Opposition Marriage AND Civil Unions


ROMNEY FOR GOVERNOR POSTER, 2002

But presumptive Republican presidential nominee says domestic partnership benefits and hospital visitation rights are 'appropriate'
A day after voters in North Carolina approved a ban on gay marriage and civil unions, presumptive Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney reaffirmed his opposition to both while on the campaign trail Wednesday (9 May).
During a visit to Fort Lupton in Colorado where a civil unions bill died on Tuesday in the state legislature Romney said: 'Well, when these issues were raised in my state of Massachusetts, I indicated my view, which is I do not favor marriage between people of the same gender, and I do not favor civil unions if they are identical to marriage other than by name.'
He added: 'My view is the domestic partnership benefits, hospital visitation rights, and the like are appropriate but that the others are not.'
Romney's comments came just before President Barack Obama, for the first time, said that he now believes same-sex marriage should be legal.     SORCE: GAY STAR NEWS

No comments:

Post a Comment